If your roof was about to collapse and you were in danger, would you know? Do you know the warning signs that you need to invest in a roof replacement? At Rock Solid Exteriors, our goal is to help you recognize when it’s time to replace your roof long before it’s too late. To keep yourself and your family safe, and to save yourself from the costs associated with a roof that caves in, it’s important to learn when it’s time to replace your roof. In this blog, we’ll outline the signs for when your roof needs replacing, and how to keep it in good shape after you replace it.
- If you’re suspicious of a failing roof, the first place to check is not the outside of your roof, but the inside — in the attic, specifically. Once you grab your flashlight and head on up there, you’ll want to look for beams of light coming through the top of the house, or stains and streaks on the underside of the roof. Those are signs of a leaky roof. A leaky roof is a roof that needs to be replaced because it is no longer keeping your home dry, and can lead to further problems like mildew and mold.
- Do you know how long it’s been since your home’s roof was replaced? If you’re unsure, check your home improvement records. Knowing when your roof was last replaced gives you insight into how much life your roof has left. If your home was replaced over 25 years ago, then it may not have much left, and it’s time to call your local roof replacement company.
- Take a look at the outside of your roof. There are some signs that will tell you when it’s time to call your roof replacement specialist. First of all, look at your shingles. They should lie flat against your roof. If you find patches that are cracked, dry, buckling, or losing granules, then you need to think about a roof replacement.
Is moss growing? On a roof, moss means trouble. It’s an indicator that there’s trapped moisture, which is a death sentence for your roof. Is your roof drooping? That is a signal that your roof needs replacing immediately. When you’re checking the surface of your roof, look for signs of trapped moisture, rotting boards, or sagging areas, especially at the lowest points of the roof.
Another telltale sign of roof damage is ice damming in the winter. When ice forms ridges, called “dams”, on your roof’s edge, it’s a sign that the roof has ventilation problems. When your roof isn’t properly ventilated, heat from the attic melts the snow on your roof. The snow melt runs off the edge of your roof or into your gutters, and freezes there. When you have large icicles, the added pressure can pull apart your roofing materials.These are all signs that your roof is at the end of its useful life.
Tips to Keep Your Roof in Good Shape After Replacement:
Once you invest in a roof replacement, these steps will help you keep your roof in top shape for longer.
- Get a warranty: Getting a warranty with your roof replacement is a smart decision because it ensures that you’re committing to a higher-quality roof.
- Trim your trees: Nobody wants roof damage due to tree branches falling during a storm, or animals having access to your roof. Make sure your trees’ branches are trimmed and don’t pose as a risk to your roof.
- Inspect your roof for damage periodically: When your area gets hit with a storm, don’t just assume everything is ok. Check your roof to make sure your roof made it through without significant damage. In addition, whether or not there’s a storm, be sure to continue checking periodically for signs of damage.
- Abide by the terms of your roofing warranty: Paying for a warranty is an extra investment. Make sure you follow its terms so that you know you can use it when you need it.
When you know you need to have your roof replaced, be sure you know who to call. Rock Solid Exteriors is Macomb, Oakland, Wayne, and St. Clair counties’ top roofing contractor. Call us today to learn more about our roof replacement services.